Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:41:54 -0500
Dr. Hardwick and all,

As so well presented by David N. Mayer, a professor of law and history and member of the Scholars' Commission on the Jefferson-Hemings Matter, there is indeed a politicization of the TJ-SH Myth, which is widespread in the American History world beyond that.  It permeates your profession, due to "...the rise of three related phenomena in higher education -- the 'political correctness' movement, multiculturalism, and post-modernism -- (that) helps explain why the TJ-SH myth has become so readily accepted today, not only by the American general public but also by scholars who should know better."

Among other topics, Mayer goes on to address how many American historians have resigned their memberships in historians' professional organizations (AHA and OAH) due to the growing political radicalism mentioned above.  In fact, Mayer says, and I quote due to its importance: "...scholars feel pressured to accept the Jefferson-Hemings myth as historical truth. White male scholars in particular fear that by questioning the myth -- by challenging the validity of the oral tradition "evidence" cited by some of the Hemings descendants -- they will be called racially "insensitive," if not racist....and, among many proponents of the Jefferson paternity claim there has emerged a truly disturbing McCarthyist-like inquisition that has cast its pall over Jefferson scholarship today."

Continuing: "Questioning the validity of the claim has been equated with the denigration of African Americans and the denial of their rightful place in American history. In this climate of scholarly and public opinion, it requires great personal courage for scholars to question the Jefferson paternity thesis and to point out the dubious historical record on which it rests."

And, "In both the preface and conclusion to her book, Professor Gordon-Reed quite directly admits that her mission is to expose the "troubling, --i.e., racist -- assumptions made by historians who have denied "the truth of a liaison between Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings.""

So, with this knowledge, why would anyone wish to read her latest book.  It's yet another one of a series, a 'team' effort intended to tear down Thomas Jefferson's image and legacy, piece by piece.  As to further politicization, it is self-admittance when Joseph Ellis (as at least once-leader of the Monticello Foundation historians' group) says that tearing down Jefferson is paramount as "the dead-white-male who matters most" and the "most valued trophy in the cultural wars."  How more clearly political can this be...!!

How well must this politicization be hid from some scholars, for it not to be readily recognized and openly discussed.

I recommend viewers read Mayer's entire presentation here, it's very informing and only requires a few minutes:

http://www.ashbrook.org/articles/mayer-hemings.html

Mayer doesn't speak alone, there are many more articles by prominent historians in the history journals.

Neil McDonald