From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:41:37 -0500
Thanks to Lyle, on the list, and Lee, in private email, for explanations
that will change the outline of my story. Lee forwarded the piece from JSTOR
that I had no idea how I would get it. It is a gold-mine for my children's
story!

By comparison, fishing by hook and line is a long, lazy occupation, to the
net or penning of fish. I remember when there were "pound poles" supporing
large nets to catch fish in the Chesapeake bay. There was always good hook
and line fishing on the coming tide side of the "pound poles". Alas, they
disappeared a few years ago - I have no idea why. I understand from a museum
in Yorktown (Mariners'?, just under the York bridge), that this method of
fishing was taught to Mathews folks by a buy from New York, who lived there
for a while, and without having his contribution put to his name, returned
north.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem