Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:24:41 -0400
 In fact, from 1825-1840 the cadets at West Point learned government from the text of William Rawle's book, A View of the Constitution of the United States of America.? The book taught the prevailing view that secession was an absolute right of each state, which could decide at any time whether it wanted to continue as a member of the Union.

Lincoln never gave the US courts the opportunity to render an opinion on the Constitutionality of secession.? He just summarily called for the raising of an army to invade the initially seceding states, and thereby drove states that had not yet seceded, like Virginia, out of the Union; and drove REL into the service of Virginia rather than the Federal government.

I suspect we have not heard the last of secession in the US.

J South