Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 04:45:15 GMT
So the "Interregnum" designation was invented by Hening (ca. 1819-1823) and not the Virginia legislature?  Because if the Virginia legislature affixed "Interregnum" ("Between kingdoms") on their proceedings at the time they made them, to me it means that they, or possibly the whole of the English colonies in revolt, were considering choosing their own king (actually I have heard this was true even after the Revolution)...when they changed it to "In the nth year of the commonwealth" after 1776, the Virginia legislature had believed that America was not going to be led by a king of any sort.

Now yes, if the designations were actually added by Hening in retrospect, then yes it is a distinction without a difference.

Joe McCollum