Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:36:41 -0400
Why should the techniques used to determine if sources found in a book are
accurate, compared to items found on the internet be any different.  As
teachers, and as parents, it is our responsibility to give the students the
skills to determine if they are accurate sources.  This is a skill they need to
watch a tv commercial, a debate, the news, reading a newspaper.  Any source out
there.

Don't limit how a teacher should use it...  Encourage the teacher to teach the
accuracies and inaccuracies, teach what bias is, how it is used, when it is
used, where it is used, how it is used.  What questions do you ask yourself as
you are evaluating a source?

Scholars, students, teachers, should never use one source for anything.  If they
find one source, they need to find other sources that either support or refute
the first source they located.

We are cheating ourselves, and our children, if we don't teach these skills.

Karen Needles
Director
Lincoln Archives Digital Project
http://www.lincolnarchives.us

On March 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jurretta,
>
> Thanks for the reminder ... but, between when the pre-schooler begins
> using the Internet and when such student gains the maturity and
> experience to make such distinctions, we, adults, need to insure that
> the accurate stuff is there and can be found.
>
> But, to help you understand the problem, here is a link to a site that
> may be useful with primary students: http://www.mapsofwar.com/index.html
>
> Can you determine the accuracy of the data shown? I get a sense there
> could be a bias .. but what would be the best way for a teacher to
> determine such before using the site, or perhaps limiting how a teacher
> uses it ....
>
> Anne
>
> On 3/22/2012 11:21 AM, Jurretta J. Heckscher wrote:
> > no reason to suppose that online sources are any more inherently reliable
> > than textbooks.
> >
> > On the contrary, students urgently need to be taught how to think critically
> > about historical information conveyed by all media-- and in particular, how
> > to evaluate the reliability of history-oriented Web sites.
> >
> > ~Jurretta Heckscher
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Mar 22, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Anne Pemberton<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to see textbooks replaced by use of online sources for
> >> information. Instead of doing Chapter 12, students could study, label, and
> >> rank the Founding Fathers. Seems the Internet could be a means of giving
> >> students access to the "best in their field" ...
> >>
> >> Anne

> --
> Anne Pemberton
> http://www.educationalsynthesis.org

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is
doing it."   Karen Needles

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than
any other one thing."
Abraham Lincoln to Isham Reavis, Nov. 5, 1855
Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. Volume 2, p. 328