From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:14:09 -0500
After the Civil War, some coal mines and land in Midlothian, VA (these
were the oldest commercial coal mines in the USA operating from circa
1700 to the Great Depression) were owned by northern and foreign
companies. But I have never seen in any of the numerous title searches
I have done any evidence for ownership outside of locals, apart from
property owned by family members residing in other states, but even
then still in the south.

Lyle Browning