From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:16:41 -0500
My understanding is that the personal property tax lists (1782+) record every free head of household and any taxable personal property they owned.  Those lists do not report what was paid or not paid, only what was owed.

The sheriff might report the names of persons who had not paid their taxes.  Such lists might appear in the county court minutes.  If the list was not recorded there, it may only exist as a loose paper among the county records.

The law allowed that free colored persons who owed taxes might be forced to work to pay them off.  1814 [Acts of the Assembly].  Chapter XX.  "In case any free Negro of mulatto shall neglect in any year to pay all taxes, poor rates, and levies, he may be hired out for so long a time as will raise the said taxes, provided sufficient cannot be raised on his estate, and provided the Negro has been first summoned to show cause, if any, against making such order."  [June Purcelll Guild, _Black Laws of Virginia­_ (Whittet & Shepperson, 1936; reprinted, New York: Negro Universities Press, 1969), 137]

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA  20110-2892
703-792-4540   www.pwcgov.org/library/relic