From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:39:08 -0400
  We all have an unconscious.  What separates historians from other people
interested in history is not the absence of an unconscious, but the
constant criticism our work has to undergo.  This is the only forum
where I try to write about history, that isn't checked and critiqued
before it is ever read by a public.  The Virginia Magazine and
Virginia Cavalcade, for example, send proposed articles out to be
blind refereed, have the facts checked, and even the footnotes gone
over with a fine tooth comb.
  But I must return to a point I made earlier.  The consciousness
(not unconscious) of many white southerners over several
generations, was shaped by a particular legend about the 1861-
1865 war.  We can talk about elements of that legend and I am
very willing to do so, particularly as it touches on Virginia history.
But it is important to remember that it was to a great extent legend
and not history as that art is practiced professionally.  Look at any
of the old southern journals from before 1940.  They are as
sanitized of any controversy that would have made southern history
from about 1830 intelligible and interesting as any publication from
the old Soviet Union.  The "party line" was that the Confederacy
was about states rights, the negroes were happy, and the South
consisted chiefly of the plantocracy.  Long before great historians
came along to question that orthodoxy, great sociologists like
DuBois, Owsley, etc., began to knock holes in that legend.
  What, ultimately, we are discussing here is the intellectual
history of the South.  This is a very complex subject.

Harold