From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:45:24 -0400
Would anyone know how I would go about finding a Revolutionary War roster for a Maryland Rifle group known as Cresap's Rifles? According to the online document for the history of Frankfort (now Fort Ashby, WV) URL:
http://www.wvculture.org/HiStory/agrext/frankfrt.html

"Captain Michael Cressap who lived in Old Town, Maryland, came over into Hampshire County during the early part of the Revolution and organized a company of riflemen. They marched to Boston and featured in several small skirmishes there. Cressap returned with them as far as New York where he died and was buried. The men in this company from Frankfort include the names of Johnson, Ashby, Wagoner, Williams, Powell, Pew, Harris, and Miller."

I would like to know if there is more information in the roster regarding these men. Possibly the Miller is Peter Miller. I assume the Johnson is Abrams Johnson, Ashby is John Ashby, Wagoner is John Wagoner. I am not sure who the Powell, Pew & Harris are. I haven't looked at the Census for a Powell, Pew or Harris.

It appears also from the above paragraph that Cresap Rifle's were mostly Hampshire Co., Virginia men and not Maryland men. Does anyone know anything about this unit? I have also read that the unit consisted of approximately 130 men. Did they all come from The western Virginia and western Maryland area or did they gather them along the way??? Someone must have already answered these questions. LOL.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide. Inquiring minds want to know.
Lonny J. Watro
Short Gap, WV