Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:11:28 -0600
How can we allow, let alone participate in, such a bland discussion about
basic human rights, where some even believe, or rather 'say,' that slaves
were apparently happy with their plight.  Human slavery and traumatic family
upheaval and transportation, is/was such an abomination, so demeaning, so
basically inhuman, so cruel, so wrong, so unacceptable.  Freedom with
liberty for all is man's ultimate way (it's sad that I feel inclined to add
for this forum, meaning all of humankind.)  Read the words and minds of
those who violently rebelled, those who ran away, those who had the will and
found the means for obtaining freedom or death, those who sacrificed so much
in so many ways, to truly understand.  Do the same for the many individuals
who helped the rebels and runaways.  Think about words of the old hymn,
'Free at Last,' and interpretations of many other 'old Negro spirituals'
(historical context) of the early/mid 19th century.  Read other sources,
many on-line, for personal letters by slaves and ex-slaves.  Look inside
yourself and extrapolate the dots.

Should we expect ex-slaves to have exclaimed:  I believe it is self-evident,
that all men are created equal, that we are endowed, by our Creator, with
certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the
pursuit of Happiness -- and, by God, never forget as to prevent slavery's
recurrence or appearance elsewhere!

Some conclusions simply don't require much discussion, IMHO.

Neil McDonald

An old Scotch-Irishman
having early/mid-19th century ancestors
just above Ripley, Ohio.