From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 13:17:59 -0400
Rita,

Your unnamed gentleman sounds most eccentric. Did he free all of his slaves, or just some of them? I assume the society women have names, as does the gentleman who wrote the will. It would help to know who you are talking about. Was it normal to free slaves in a will. No. But define "normal." It may not have been normal, but it was legal. I believe by this time the black code required emancipated slaves to leave the state within one year, or be resold back into slavery. This, however, was rarely enforced, but he did recognize it was a possibility and he made a provision for that.

This kind of will is the sort of things chancery suits are born of. Have you checked to see if there was a chancery suit regarding this will?

Craig Kilby