From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:29:03 -0400
I thought that I introduced a new topic- the early iron industry. But
all Anita wants to do is relate it back to slaves. There is a lot
more to discuss here. For instance the iron industry was one of the
first where ownership was by a group, rather than an individual.
There is also the entire issue of "Iron Plantations". Contrary to
popular belief these were not an industrial adaptation of the
agricultural plantation (they predate the American colonies).

I would be interested in any information anyone has concerning
bloomeries and fineries (not associated with blast furnaces). These
are smaller operations and as a result do not as readily show up in
either the documentary or archaeological record.

My research on the blast furnaces of Virginia has shown that many of
the accepted dates of construction and operation are incorrect. K
Bruce did a good job, but that was 70 years ago. A number of
documents have come to light since then and she had to read each
document and could not do word searches. Makes life a lot easier for
us (at least for those sources that have been digitized). It was for
that reason that I included the list I have compiled.

James Brothers, RPA