From:
Sam Treynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:53:41 -0500
Article II of the Articles of Confederation states:  "Each state retains its
sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every Power, Jurisdiction and
right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United
States."  If the United States violated the sovereignty, freedom, or
independence of a state, was that state obligated to remain in "perpetual
union," or was the agreement broken?  If the latter, then the perpetual
union language has no bearing on the secession issue.

Sam Treynor