From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:51:48 -0600
Brent, but I do not believe this would be true for the child of an
African Slave woman and an Indian father.  There were enslaved people
who proved their ancestry was Indian, not black, who gained their
freedom.  See the Va. case of Hudgins v. Wrights (1806).

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor