Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:51:39 -0500
Paul said:

"It is good that Virginians with some Indian ancestry are proud of it, but
they should also be proud of their African American ancestry as well."

I agree totally with this statement, Paul.  In connection with this, I had a
very interesting experience with someone on another listserv.  We had been
going back and forth with e-mail for several weeks about our shared VA
Native American ancestry.  We exchanged photos of ourselves and our
ancestors, and it seemed to me that this person had African American
ancestry as well as Native American.  When I made a comment about whether
research had been done on the African American ancestors as well as the
Native American, the correspondence stopped cold.  I never received another
e-mail!

I never meant to insult the person (why would it have been an insult,
anyway?).  Being a historian as well as a genealogist, I was just curious --
on an intellectual level -- about how this person felt about the mixed
ancestry.  That will teach me to think before I hit the "send" button!

Jean Spradlin-Miller