From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:33:20 -0400
For all you teetotalers and moonshiners out there in Virginia--an
opportunity to spill your guts:

This is to announce that production is underway for a new episode of
"BackStory With the American History Guys," a new call-in radio show
hosted by Virginia historians Ed Ayers, Brian Balogh, and Peter Onuf
that brings historical perspective to the events happening around us
every day (see www.backstoryradio.org for podcast, downloads, and
e-newsletter). This week we're looking at the history of alcohol
consumption in America:

"Anyone who’s glanced at a tabloid, sorted wedding photos or attended a
frat party knows that modern Americans have a tendency to tip the
bottle. But by history’s standards, we’re teetotalers. In the early
1800s, the average adult male consumed the equivalent of six shots of
whiskey per /day/. Even children imbibed! But that doesn’t mean alcohol
has brought us together — to the contrary, it has reinforced ugly power
structures, in the domestic sphere as well as the global one. How did
alcohol become a state-regulated moral issue, rather than simply an
economic one? When did we start seeing over-consumption as a disease?
Have we grown more tolerant, or less so, over the course of our history?"

We're looking for callers who want to chat with/ask a question of the
History Guys about this subject, as well as those who have suggestions
about scholars or non-scholars who might make good interview guests.
Please write me ASAP at the address below if you are interested.

Thanks!

--

Catherine Moore

Research Assistant
BackStory With the American History Guys
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Radio
145 Ednam Dr.
Charlottesville, VA 22903
www.backstoryradio.org
434-924-4403