From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:51:16 -0500
I haven't read the gun control ruling yet;  just saw notice of it on the NYT
website.  But if the court did cite Dred Scott in making its ruling that is
passingly strange, since CJ Roger Taney specifically excluded Washington,
D.C. from the rulings he made regarding federal territories.  The
distinction Taney made in his opinion for the majority (here I am working
from memory) was that all the western territories were held by the federal
government in trust for the states.  This, of course, not true to DC, which
had been ceded by Maryland and Virginia to create a national capital under
complete federal control.

Why was this distinction important in 1857?  In 1850, in the complex
"Compromise of 1850," Congress had outlawed the slave trade but not slavery
in Washington D.C.  Had Taney not differentiated DC from the other federal
territories, his ruling would have had the effect of overruling that
legislation, which the southern pro-slavery interests were not much
concerned about.  What they wanted was for the 1820 Missouri Compromise
slavery-non slavery line in the Louisiana Purchase territory overruled and
Dred Scott did just that.

Harold S. Forsythe