From:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:20:44 -0500
From "The Burning of Richmond", by R. T. W. Duke;

Southern Hist. Soc. Papers 25 (1897), p. 34:

"Reaching my quarters in the city about 2 o'clock A. M. of the 3d, my
adjutant, Linden Kent, a youth about eighteen (who afterwards became a
distinguished lawyer in Washington city, and died a few years since), showed
me an order from General Ewell, directing all the tobacco warehouses, then
full of tobacco, to be burned at a certain signal. He and Captain Herron, of
Orange, the ranking officer in my absence (Captain W. T. Early, of
Albemarle, and Major James Strange, of Fluvanna, then being absent, sick),
had made all the arrangements necessary to carry this order into effect. I
directed Captain Herron and Adjutant Kent, so soon as the signal was given,
to fire these buildings, then pass over the river on Mayo's bridge and
follow the army."

Linden Kent was from Louisa Co.

Ann Avery Hunter
Winston-Salem, NC