From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:35:19 -0500
Brent and All,

For two very good articles on this subject see:

W. Preston Haynie, "African-Americans: Obstacles to Freedom", in *The Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society*, Vol. 33 (1996) and

Craig M. Kilby, "The Kelley Brothers and the American Colonization Society: From Northumberland County to Liberia" in "The Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society*, Vol. 45 (2208).

Both articles give both anecdotal stories and a good review of the "black codes" of Virginia up to the Civil War. I believe this magazine is available at the Library of Virginia. If not please feel free to contact me off list. I can send a copy of my article via PDF format. Copies of the late Mr. Haynie's article can be obtained from the Society itself, or from the Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, for a nominal fee to cover copying and postage.

To add to Brent's post, it is true that the law passed in 1806 stipulated that emancipated slaves were to leave the Commonwealth within one year of emancipation. But where were they to go? And how would they get there? The enforcement of this law was left to the discretion of the local county courts and it was rarely enforced. It is important to keep in mind that all these people, both black and white, all knew each other. And in those days, the county courts had much more authority over local affairs than the state government, no matter what laws it passed. (This is another topic entirely.)

It did, however, have the effect of being a *sword of Damacles* hanging over the head of freed negroes. Again, this is explained in more detail in the two articles above mentioned. Haynie's article in particular has some piquant anecdotal stories about this topic.

Craig Kilby