From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:02:11 -0500
Everyone,

It is sad that Robert Engs has passed, too soon. He made important contributions to the historiography of Virginia, not least his book, Freedom's First Generation, on Black Hampton after the Civil War. His biography of Samuel Chapman Armstrong, founder of what became Hampton University, is one of the pillars of volume one of the Dictionary of Virginia Biography.

What I also recall is, many years ago, at a research library that shall be unidentified, I checked out an early 20th-century volume on slavery in Virginia. I found inside a marginal note, signed by Engs and probably written when he was still a graduate student researching his dissertation, warning that the author's prejudiced assumptions required correction. I've often thought since then of how dismaying it must have been at times for his generation of pioneer African American historians striving to reveal living, breathing human beings in the past by pushing aside all that mess of assumptions that hid them from view.

He will be missed.

John