Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 19:07:01 -0800
The online data base is a wonderful idea and a very useful service.  And Anita's story is fascinating.

   I thought you might be interested in the Christ's Hospital or Blue Coat School records. Christ's Hospital was the first Blue Coat School and was essentially a boarding school for boys who were orphaned or poverty stricken, "through no fault of their own".  There is some debate about whether or not all students were actually orphans. At any rate, the boys stayed at the school until  a family member claimed them, or until they were bound out for service.  Some of the students were born in America and  went  to the school in London, after the death of a parent.

  These children were  bound out for a period of at least 7 years, in order to learn a trade. They were generally from "respectable",  middle class families. I understand that the records of the London school, Christ's Hospital,  still exist, and I think the records of at least some of the other Blue Coat schools do, as well.  The London Christ's Hospital had an entry book that gave the date of birth of the student, the admission date, and parent's name.  A receipt book gave the date of departure and to whom the child was bound, and sometimes gave the length of servitude.

  Zachariah Leigh's record states that he was born 9 April 1704, admitted to Christ's Hospital in April 1711, from Carlsharlton Parish, and bound out for service in 1718, at the age of 14, by Micajah Perry, a London/Virginia merchant, to master James Roscoe, Merchant in Virginia.   I've found no further record of Zachariah in Virginia, until 1745, so I'm not so sure all indentures were for 7 years.  Sometimes the register gave the length of servitude, but in his case, it didn't.

  I think some of the records have been published.  Maybe someone else knows by whom.

  Langdon Hagen-Long

Nathan Murphy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  That's a fantastic article. Thanks for pointing it out. Though I've read through more than 100 works about indentured servants, I'm sure there are still 1000 more!

Best,

Nathan W. Murphy, MA, AGŪ
Researcher and Marketing Director
Price & Associates, Inc.