From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:41:12 EST
I have not carefully studied Virginia Revolutionary War enlistment practices,
but am currently in something of a debate with a cousins whose ancestor
enlisted in Amelia Co VA, and he is therefore trying to fit him into an
Amelia Co Bentley family, and he doesn't fit.

Did every county have an enlistment "office", or as is the case in North
Carolina where I have studied Rev War records more closely trying to find a
gggg grandfather who died, it is said at Yorktown, did men sometimes/often go
to neighboring counties because there was active recruitment going on there,
but not in their own counties.  The Amelia Co enlistment information appears
to have come from a pension application and not an official service record.
It COULD have been a case where he was visiting his cousins and a group of
them decided to sign up at the same time.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter