From:
"J. Douglas Deal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:59:38 -0500
Coles was an abolitionist and a staunch colonizationist for most of his
adult life--like many of his generation (and the next--don't forget
Lincoln). See the fine summary of Coles' views and his relations with
madison in Drew McCoy's book, The Last of the Fathers.

Douglas Deal
Professor of History and Chair of History Department
State University of New York at Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126
(315)-312-5632