From:
BRIAN MITCHELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:00:19 -0700
Hello,

      I'm currently researching free black migration to New Orleans during the early 19th century and came across a Free Man of Color named James Dunn. James Dunn reached New Orleans in Dec. of 1819 and posted an entry in the Mayor's Register of Free Blacks stating that he was from Petersburg. Closer examination of the register shows a number of other migrants from both Petersburg and Richmond. I have a number of questions in regard to Dunn and would appreciate any assistance I could get:

   Where in James Dunn from? Census records show a free black family of Dunn's in the Richmond family.
   Why are migrants leaving Petersburg and Richmond for New Orleans? There are large communities of free blacks much closer to them (Baltimore and New York), so why are they selecting New Orleans?
   James Dunn's sponsor was the theater impresario James H. Caldwell, I know that Dunn was a stage carpenter by trade and I know that he has signed a indenture contract with Caldwell, probably at the Petersburg Theater. Does anyone know where court records in regard to indentures could be found for Petersburg?
   Are there any other records I should be researching that might shed light on James Dunns life?