Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:21:01 -0500
I would urge everyone on the list to take a look at the
Virginia WPA slave narratives, published by UVA Press under
the title WEEVILS IN THE WHEAT.

When I teach Virginia History, I assign this volume.  It
contains numerous accounts by men and women who recalled
horrific violence, of men and women who never forgave their
former masters, and of men and women who drew deeply from
their Christian conviction to find the spirit of forgiveness.

To my recollection, no serious scholar who has examined the
evidence has concluded that slavery was a benign institution
which, given a choice, any rational young person would
chose.  Given a choice between freedom and slavery, who
among us would choose slavery?  Very few, I would imagine.

I find it more than a bit scary, frankly, that people here
would argue *for* slavery.  The willingness of some here to
conclude that slavery was a benign institution suggests to
my reading that the commitment to the core values of liberty
and freedom are weak in our country.  To my mind these
values are what make the United States a unique and decent
polity.  Our country fought the Revolution in oppostion to
what they termed a British effort to reduce Americans to
slavery.  We fought the Col War in large part because we
understood the Soviet Union to be a society that enslaved
its subjects.  This is not just my rhetoric--people at the
time, in the 1770s and 1780s, and in the 1940s, 1950s,
1960s, and 1970s,  used the words "slavery" to explain what
they fought against.  Librty and Freedom are bedrock values
of Americans, and should be celebrated as such.  Southern
slavery violated our most basic values, and should be
condemned for those reasons, among many others.

All best,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History