Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:01:30 -0500
Anne,

I understand your  desire to convey the fact that the desire for
freedom burned in the hearts of the slave.  Also, that slaves
were deprived of the opportunity to use their talents and intelligence.

Also, I realize the need to demonstrate the abuses that occurred in
slavery, the failure of society to recognize its fault and abolish
slavery.

However,  Nat Turner was a well-educated, intelligent preacher with a
serious psychosis, which led him to enlist others and murder more than
50 people - of whom, more than  30 were women and small children.

He was not a hero. He was crazy.  Chasing toddlers around the school
yard and beheading them is not a fight for liberation - it's mass
murder.

It's also unnecessary to use this villain as an example of anything
virtuous in the make-up of those of African descent, in the past,
enslaved, or otherwise.  There are many noble examples of slaves and
free blacks who are far more illustrative of the injustice, waste of
talent, and slave-owner stupidity.  It is repulsive, and even insulting
to hold up Nat Turner as an example of
slave leadership, or the human desire for freedom.

Portray him as he was: obviously intelligent, obviously spiritual,
well-educated, respected in the community --- but ultimately a victim
of his own psychosis.

Elizabeth