From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:53:42 -0500
When I look back at the way we used to eat, it's a wonder anyone
survived. My mother used to make us a chopped up, still-warm slightly
hard boiled egg, drizzled with butter- cholesterol city, but it sure
tasted good! There'd be a jar sitting on the stove for grease from
cooking, bacon fat, that would be reused. Butter, mayonnaise, no one
knew about the risks we were putting ourselves under. Yeah, the
southern idea of cooking vegetables till they were a pretty
unappealing, over-boiled mess, was made more palatable by adding a
chunk of fatback. Or topping with bacon crumbles. Potatoes in many
fried forms, or in potato salad, with mayo. Deviled eggs with mayo.
As for fresh vegetables, in summer we'd have the sliced cucumbers and
onion, with vinegar, and a few ice cubes sitting on top to keep it
cool and crisp. Or the southerner's idea of a salad- torn iceberg
lettuce, pieces of tomato, and chopped onion, and the ever-present
mayo, which left that pink "soup" in the bottom of the salad bowl.
Radishes were eaten by themselves- and cut into 'roses' for company.
Celery was for stuffing with cream cheese at Thanksgiving, or putting
in the turkey dressing. Carrots were usually cooked, with butter and
brown sugar. Nobody thought to add them to the pink lettuceandtomato
salad.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone