From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:28:46 -0400
"..... They could find no trace of the Spaniards.    Then they heard a sound which arrested every movement and caught every breath short.    Someone was playing on a fife a tune they knew, the tune which every good Protestant in Europe called 'William of Nassau - the Prince of Orange's song.'    Solemn and heavily charged with emotion, the notes, to which Sainte Aldegonde's poem of patriotic defiance of Spain had been set, were eerily arresting and meaningful beside that creek in Florida.     It was the most anti-Spanish air in the world.      Somewhere close by was a friend.    Following the sound, they tracked the fife-player down.     He was Nicholas Borgoignon, a French prisoner, who had spent six years in Spanish hands."

This is a rather flamboyant intro, but I want to trumpet (pun intended) this opportunity for you to share and celebrate upcoming Jamestowne 2007.  The above referenced tune is the only one I have found in 8 months of searching that I am certain was played in what became America, before Jamestowne 1607.  And not only do we know WHAT it was but WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE!  Amazing!  I have used it as the trio of my march, "The Trumpeter of Jamestowne."

So akin to my offer two years ago to VA-Histers to contribute my Virginia Heritage marches to your favorite local school, college or community band to honor the members of the Virginia National Guard who had been called into Federal Service, I make a similar offer now.  If you want to partake, just EMail me:

(1) The name of the band, (2) name of the director, (3) your name (as the donor) and (4) your snail-mail address.  I'll send you a copy of the march with 20+ instrumental parts for full concert band, with your contribution dedication printed on the front, for you to present to the local band (and hopefully pick up some publicity for you and for Jamestowne along the way.)  If you had rather listen first, I'll send you a pocket-CD with the march, some background, and five other Jamestown selections (played at the 1907 Exposition) plus one at the 1807 jubilee.  Its just my way of being a small part of this once-in-a-century celebration.

This offer will cost you  nothing, except a little time.

Randy Cabell      Boyce, Virginia