From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:32:53 -0500
That is but one part of the "moving target" problem when addressing
those issues. Edmund Ruffin's 1832 publication of "Essays on
Calcareous Manures" after his research done at Beechwood in Prince
George County was the basis for American agricultural chemistry and
led to rejuvenated fields formerly bereft of nutrients by tobacco
monocropping and what might politely be termed "not Best Management
Practices" in terms of crop rotation and fallow field practices. So
productivity will go up due to Ruffin and in American Farmer and other
rags of the Agricultural day, there are articles on myriad facets of
improvement techniques.

What I'm particularly interested in is more the acreage that was
tended and how many folks it took to tend it. Obviously forced and
reluctant labor is one factor, small family capabilities on
independent farms is another, soil type, location and fertility/
exhaustion are another and the economic means to afford force
multiplying mechanical devices and their attendant rise over time are
others in the mix.

It is clear that forced or volunteer labor will reach a plateau.
Adding equipment, however initial rudimentary, to the mix will show an
increase and the gradual replacement of human labor by machinery over
time will also evolve into what it is currently. Those figures are
where I am aiming.

Lyle Browning