From:
Emily Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:49:44 +0000
Jon, Thank you for your observations about Dutch trade in early VA.
You are right that
>>the Dutch play a huge and underappreciated role in our colonial-era
>>Atlantic history

There is no question of Dutch influence from the 1630s when the Dutch
flyboat, for example, was better and cheaper for transporting tobacco from
the plantations, and when New Amsterdam was a significant trading partner.

    I am specifically seeking references that date from before 1625. When it
is often assumed that there was an active trade - but for which I can find
few citations.

>Dutch tobacco traders were all over Virginia in the early 17th century
The WAMQ article (1973) records that Edward de Rousinge brought his Virginia
tobacco to Middleburg - does not say that the Dutch came to Virginia

>-Dutch and German trade goods are plentiful in the Jamestown
>archeaological findings, etc.

They certainly could have been acquired in Enlgand before departure.

  The laws Divine and Martial were based on a Dutch tract, many of the
English colonists had experience in Holland, but were there any commercial
ties before the time of Charles I?
I have never understood why the States General would pay Gates for his time
in Virginia.

E Rose