From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:34:51 -0400
Good Morning Lynne,

A couple of things....  MEDI is the big vendor for eastern Virginia (http://www.medimicro.com/FilmEquip.htm).  I am not sure of the western Virginia.   If you want to make copies of 11x17" size, you will need to get a reader with a large printer. A lot of the laser printers for computers don't handle the 11x17" paper.  They can handle the letter and legal size but nothing higher.    We have two Canon Microfilm Scanner 800 readers with large format printers.  They work great for land deeds and wills from 1600s - 1700s.

Now, everyone is moving to readers with computers attached.  You can scan off the microfilm reel.  You could then email articles to people or scan a photographic image off the reel.  It is very, very useful.   See ScanPro 2000<http://www.medimicro.com/FilmEquip.htm#ScanPro2000#ScanPro2000>.  MEDI has a brochure on their website and I believe LVA has similar units in their microfilm reader section.  I have seen it in action and I like it.  We will be getting a few when the new Slover Memorial Library opens up in a few years.

All the readers we have do not require coin boxes.  We ask them to come see us when they leave.

So I would recommend getting one reader (like Canon MS 800 Reader) with a large format printer and the other reader (like ScanPro 2000) with a computer attached if funds are available.  If funds are limited then go with the reader with the large format printer.  You can also scan the page later.

Good luck.....

W. Troy Valos
Sargeant Memorial Collection - Norfolk Main Library
235 East Plume Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Main: (757) 664 - 7485
Office: (757) 664 - 7323 ext: 43737
Fax: (757) 664 - 7319
http://www.npl.lib.va.us/smrt/smr_home.html

"People need to think. They need something to think about, to stir the imagination. Books, more than anything else, supply these needs." - Mary Denson Pretlow

I am looking for advice on purchase of a plain paper reader/printer for a small

library/museum archive. It must make copies of up to 11x14 filmed originals. No

coin-op needed. Thoughts on features to look for or avoid as well as

recommended models/brands are sought.

Thank you, Lynne Schulman