From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:10:15 -0500
Interesting, but it gets into that same thing of oral vs written
memories. I wonder just why, if this quilt code was true, anyone who
had learned about it, and knew it was a highly secret bit of
information [peoples' lives depended on keeping it secret] should
tell workers from the US government who were taking down oral
stories, or anyone else, for that matter? Might it be like some of
the religious facets of Virginia Indian culture which to this day
they do not tell "outsiders"? For such an outsider to breeze in,
demand written "proof" or oral support and when they get none,
declare that such a thing does not exist, seems to be pretty arrogant
to me. Yeah, sure, written "proof" would be nice, but can't the
experts [who are evidently more expert than the grandchildren of the
slaves who actually lived this stuff] at least declare it a not-
proven? Yet to be confirmed?

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone