From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:57:25 -0400
Many thanks to those of you who sent me references to the German sailors
buried at the Hampton Military Cemetery, and for your observations on the
larger issues.

I was fortunate to be able to find a 1986 Richmond Times Dispatch article in
online archives, and I think the quote it took from a Newport News newspaper
of July 25, 1942 (three months after the 29 German sailors were buried with
full military honors) pretty well tells it like it should be:

        "We followed our code and principles of honor.  War demanded that we
sink the submarine, which was done.  But after victory, we could proceed as
we did         in the recognition that these were human beings.... and they
deserved consideration as such under our Christian code of conduct."

Randy Cabell