From:
Michael Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:35:32 -0600
The governor's message in The Journal of the House of Burgesses, 1742-1747, 1748-49 p 235 indicates that it was thought to be arson. The Norfolk County Order Book 16 October 1746 - 17 Aug 1750 f. 83 shows that a local man was paid  in the county levy for 1748 for guarding Wm Beesley to Wmsburg on suspicion of Beesley having burnt the capitol. I don't remember having looked any further into this--Mick
Michael L. Nicholls
Professor of History, Emeritus
Dept. of History
Utah State University