From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:30:03 -0500
I was referring specifically to the Bass family, but they were probably
similar to other Indian families. Modern-day Bass "chiefs" have by my
calculations something around 1/2,000 th Indian ancestry from John Bass's
wife. Most African Americans from Virginia, descendants of both free and
slave, probably have more Indian ancestry than the Bass family.

Indian culture would have had little use in English society, so it is not a
criticism of people with Indian descent that they adopted English ways. Nor
would I think it anything to be proud of that they maintained a culture
which no longer applied. But nothing wrong with being proud of your
ancestry.
Paul