From:
Stephen Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:26:43 -0700
A family in Idaho recently came into possession of a family bible printed in 1716 that once belonged to John Ballard of Yorktown (1700-1746).  It contains a wealth of information on numerous descendants through the 19th century (and proves wrong many published genealogies).  The owners are considering donating it to an institution that could properly care for it, exhibit it, etc.  I'm told that it is "fragile, but intact."

I suggested the Library of Virginia, but I thought that the academics on the list may have better insight into other institutions that might be a better fit (Virginia Historical Society?  Swem Library?  Library of Congress?).  I'd appreciate recommendations of the best place for such an object that I can pass along.

Stephen Ballard
Saxe, Virginia