From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2018 17:02:28 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE OF RICHMOND

Give me liberty and give me Jon Kukla presenting “Patrick Henry: Champion of Liberty” at the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond on Wednesday, January 17, with dinner at 5:30 PM.  The meeting and presentation will follow at 6:30 PM.  Details and University of Richmond maps are here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/  Jon will not have copies of his new book of the same title for sale, but I’m sure he’ll gladly inscribe yours from home.  You’ll find the work to be both enjoyable and enlightening.  Please join us, as we begin our 12th year.  Membership in 2017 reached 85, our largest cadre ever.  Thanks to all of you!

As I missed any December news, there is a long list to report.

This is a bit late, but still appropriate.  Thanks to Bernie Fisher for this National Review article about Revolutionary War veterans.  http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453666/american-revolution-veterans-deserve-thanks-remembrance

Our own John Millar has been recognized by the Virginia State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.  A presentation was made at John’s Newport House of the Good Citizenship Medal, one of the highest awards given to a non-member of SAR.  John was honored for the Revolutionary War ship (HMS Rose) that he had built, the ships he’s proposing to build, the books he has written on revolutionary subjects, and the fact that he founded the Bicentennial Council of the Thirteen Original States back in 1970, which raised millions for worthy Bicentennial projects.  Congratulations, John!  Very well deserved.

Here’s some new information about Washington’s marque, now on display at the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.  This is the same one that was once housed at the Valley Forge Historical Society. https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/newly-found-painting-shows-george-washingtons-army-tent/4119181.html

John Fea has spoken to us twice.  Here’s his article about the Greenwich Tea Burning – the New Jersey Tea Party.  https://blog.oieahc.wm.edu/greenwich-tea-burning/

The oldest known, recently discovered Alexander Hamilton document.  http://discoveringhamilton.com/oldest-known-alexander-hamilton-documents-implications/

Dave Riggs sent this article about both his and my favorite Washington painting – Crossing the Delaware.  Thanks, Dave. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/12/24/how-a-painting-of-george-washington-crossing-the-delaware-on-christmas-went-19th-century-viral/?utm_term=.0241395da561

And Dave also alerted Yorktown visitors to a temporary change.

The NPS Yorktown Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed for maintenance upgrades effective January 4 for several weeks (no specific reopening date given). During this period the Somerwell House will serve as a temporary visitor center. The Somerwell House is located at 401 Main Street (the corner of Main and Church Streets). Visitors may park in the NPS parking lot across from the Somerwell House between Church and Read Streets or in the parking lot behind nearby York Hall, which can be accessed via Ballard Street. There will be no Yorktown Battlefield admission fee during the main visitor center's closure.

Where’s Molly Pitcher?  Thanks, John Maass.  https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/12/05/not-capt-molly-1776-war-hero-not-in-her-west-point-grave/

Two important conference are fast approaching.  First is the Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT’s Virginia Campaign of 1781 on February 24 – 25.  Details are here.  https://williamsburg-yorktownarrt.weebly.com/   It’s filling up fast.

The second is the March 23 – 25 7th Annual Conference of the American Revolution, sponsored by the Venter’s America’s History, LLC. Details are here.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2017/5th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-2-2-2/  There are about 150 people already signed up, so don’t wait.

Rats nests and wallpaper?  At our last meeting, Alyson Taylor-White described Wickham House wallpaper at the Valentine Museum.  Original scrapes were discovered in a rat’s nest from the early eighteen hundreds.  I’ll have a picture of the paper at the next meeting.

Phase II of the Georgian Papers Programme is now available here.  https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/georgian-papers-programme#/   A further 17,000 papers from the early Georgian period have been digitally scanned and published. They are available for free online. This follows the 33,000 documents released in January this year, making a total of 50,000 pages publicly accessible so far.  The papers include financial accounts relating to the Coronation of George I, and the ceremonial booklet detailing those assembled to greet the new King in procession on his arrival from Holland. Also released is the precise expenditure of the Civil List in 1747-48 under George II which outlines, among other things, the costs of transporting rebels to America.  Personal papers include the last will and testament of George II's daughter Princess Amelia and a detailed post mortem carried out after her death. A touching letter from the future George III after the death of his father, to his grandfather George II, reveals his wish to stay living at Kew with his mother and thanks him for the "paternal tenderness which has hitherto so much contributed to my happiness and the continuance of which I shall ever think my greatest comfort."  Thanks to Bruce Venter for this.

Lindsey Morrison of Campaign 1776 will join us in January to accept our $425 donation, matched by America’s History gift of $400.  This contribution will go towards new land at the Waxhaws in South Carolina, as you selected.

Finally, the 5th Congress of American Revolution Round Tables will be held in Yorktown from Friday, April 6 through Sunday, April 8.  All ARRT members are welcome.  More details will be available at the January meeting.

Happy and Healthy New Year to you all.  I’m looking forward to seeing you on January 17.  As always, please bring a friend.

Bill