From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 03:45:03 -0400
Just a little note of geographical and demographical
education of our Nations Capital... the D.C. neighborhood
of Anacostia has been plaqued with high crime for at least
20 years that I know of. The Anacostia River is so
polluted near this neighborhood it's pathetic. The living
conditions of the people who live in this neighborhood is
unbelievable, especially when you think they are only
blocks for our suits of K street and the Mall, White House
and Capital. The latest statistic I've read is that this
community is 95% African American. Many great Americans
have grown up in this neighborhood and somehow pulled
themselves out of this poverty. I see nothing wrong with
the National Zoo, which is located on Conneticut Ave.
celebrating African American's Day. Especially if it can
instill some pride in children from neighborhoods like
Anacostia and show them some other ways of life ourside of
what there current living conditions are. I'm all for it,
I want my tax dollars spent on it. So that they will know
that the people of this country do care about them and
they don't have to join a gang to feel like they are part
of something.

And IMHO, shame on our politicians in DC for allowing
neighborhoods like Anacostia to continue to exist so close
to their own front doors. I suppose they figure these
people can just "eat cake". tsk tsk.

Off soap box.