From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:31:08 -0600
This is a very thoughtful response to an issue that is difficult for
many people.  In thinking about this, we might remind ourselves that we
are not responsible for the deeds or misdeeds of our ancestors; we are
however, responsible for the history we retell and the way we confront
our past.  I think one of our nation's most difficult problems is that
we do not want to face the ugly parts of our past; we will reenact a
battle, which is fun, and educational, and enteraining, and even a good
physcial workout, but we don't want to think about why those people were
fighting or what they were fighting for.  We want to perpetuate myths of
that past, then get very upset when others challenge our myths and our
symbols.  This leads to a level of internal dishonesty; so that people
deny the history of secession and slavery to defend the use of a symbol
that stood for both.

To come full circle:  we go back to the original question about the
confederate flag as part of state flags.  It *was* added to protest
integration; and not people want to forget that history and claim it is
only the "Confederate battle flag" that is somehow disconnected to any
history except that of military campaigns. But, those military campaigns
had a political object -- destruction of the United States -- and a
social economic object -- the perpetuation of racially based slavery. To
deny this, is to deny our history and fail understand the legacy of both
eras -- the 1850s-1860s and the 1950s-1960s -- that we still live with.

I will drop out of this discussion, at least for a while, since I fear
any more postings will lead to my repeating myself.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor