From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 17:00:45 -0400
Anne Pemberton's query is interesting as a manifestation of a certain
kind of persistent historical folklore.  Among Americans, at least, who
are (or used to be) taught to see major national figures as impossibly
heroic, there is a compensatory counter-stream of popular stories
attributing various types of sexual misconduct to them.  (I imagine the
same goes for other "rulers" in other societies.)

For instance, one friend of mine, who attended high school several
decades ago, swears her U.S. history teacher taught her some
particularly lurid tale (whose details, alas, I've forgotten) involving
GW and some salacious escapade.  She was amazed when I told her I
thought the story was wildly improbable.  I found it interesting that
her decades-long belief in the story hadn't seemed to cause her to
question GW's place in history: instead, against all the heroic
mythology, the tale apparently functioned for her as a balancing
assertion that GW could misbehave like any other man.

 From the folklorist's perspective, what's interesting isn't the factual
truth of such stories, which are generally nil, but what they reveal
about the needs that history serves in the society that perpetuates
them.

--Jurretta Heckscher