From:
Daniel Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 15:23:22 -0400
Anyone up for backing off Tom and Sally and discussing whether or not
" . . . history can be objectively known . . . . " or whether or not
there's  " . . . certainty of knowledge . . . " in well-researched,
well-written academic history?

I, for one, side with those who agree with Ranke's ideals . . . but
despair of attaining them.  Try, for example, describing the first
battle of Manassas . . . or even the capture of "Sherman's battery" on
21 July 1861 . . . on the basis of the best-available primary sources.

We traffic. I believe,  in more-or-less sophisticated pattern
recognition, more-or-less language-limited articulation of those
patterns,  and, at best, more-or-less logically reliable and
intellectually honest approximations of "historical truth."

The trick lies in knowing how to make the distinctions.

The tragedy lies never accumulating enough historical knowledge to
even BEGIN to see patterns.

No?

Dan Morrow
Middleburg