Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:34:20 -0500
I agree with you, Nancy--he should have proceeded differently.

In Virginia, University President's really are empowered by
law with pretty darned close to dictatorial power.  They are
not required by law to consult with much of anyone about the
things they decide to do.  So in law, unfortunately, the
University actually *is* his preserve.

That said, there is a difference between having power and
using it.  In this instance, the way he used his power does
seem likely to have long run consequences.

All best,
Kevin