From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:21:52 -0500
Folks,

    Thanks to all who have responded to my request for information on this
topic. For those who don't know where I'm coming from, I am teaching at a
small rural high school in a county adjoining the infamous Prince Edward
County who so greatly symbolized the Virginia resistance to integration.

    The debates began last week, and will continue weekly unless any class
shows itself as too immature to handle the responsibility. Of my three
classes, the one who chose this topic contains a number of
emotionally-charged and immature students. In activities that have had
nothing to do with racism, there have been undertones and problems. I am
hoping that by airing some of the issues, the students can learn one of the
basic concepts of democracy - that we are a rule of majority with insistence
of the rights of the minority. I hope also they will get a really strong
handle on the basic concept of democracy that insists each individual be
accorded respect and equality.

    Someday these students I have in front of me now, will be leaders in
this rural community. The responsibility to move this county forward through
the 21st century will rest on their shoulders. Some, of course, will leave
these sleepy towns and make their ways to the ivory towers and perhaps the
grand halls in Richmond. Some may even take what they learn here and go
further afield.

    My sincerest thanks go out to all who are helping me to help them. I
knew I could count on this list for assistance on this knotty issue. Friday
night, or over the weekend, I'll let y'all know how it turned out.

Anne