From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:46:42 -0400
Dear Paul,

I am so sorry you are insulted and deeply offended. I have no idea why you should be. I did not mention you by name, and in fact was not really referring to you specifically, just the comment that 800,000 slaves were sold into the Deep South and that the huge out-migration had many aspects that should be considered. In that vein, I talked about out-migration of small slave-holding families to the Ohio and Mississippi River Valleys, specifically Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas. Nowhere did I say anything about Mississippi which I do not think was an area highly sought-after by the outwardly bound Virginians and their slave families.

It is indeed true that small slave owners had slaves owned by other people on other farms. More often than not, these groups moved in bulk, and webs of kinship were deep. I do not think that kinships were quite as uprooted as you would like to believe. Again, the humanity factor comes into play here. These were not massive cotton plantation families like the in the deep south. These were close-knit family units. These were real people with real feelings and attachments. I know this does not fit well into the narrative of evil white people tearing up black families, but on this I suppose we will have to disagree.

Craig Kilby