From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:12:30 -0600
the structural difference is this:  these other provisions cannot be imposed, and
historically never been imposed, without legislation; HC can be suspended without
legislation and has traditionally been suspended under emergencies by executives.

So, I would ask you in the simplist terms.  Do you believe that if  foreign power
seized a  majority of Congress, thus preventing a quorum and thus preventing
Congress from sitting, that the President would lack the power to suspend habeas
corpus in the war zone. If the president was secure in the White House, but the
"enemy" had seized capital hill, are you arguing that the president could not
suspend HC in Washington DC while the enemy was there?

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law