From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:12:23 -0400
Henry,

In my research for preparing the furnishing plan for the Carter's Grove
Slave Quarter, I found many references to slaves earning money by selling
chickens, cider, wheat, oysters and hogs, among other things, making stools
and other furniture, sewing, or doing other extra work.  Shopkeepers like
William Allason and Glassford & Company ran credit accounts for slaves, who
either paid in cash or traded their labor for the goods that they wanted.
In their diaries, Col. Francis Taylor and Landon Carter both record paying
and bartering with their own slaves and their neighbors' slaves for things
like chickens, shirts and produce.

Harold Gill found many of these references (for which I thank him!); others
were found with the help of other Colonial Williamsburg historians, and by
our own research.  I'm happy to share them--just let me know, although it
will be mid-July until I have the time to go back and really do a detailed
search.

Martha Katz-Hyman