From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 17:34:49 -0400
Anne,

Since you have Kukla's book in hand, look in the index and find the
name, Randolph Jefferson, WHAT.... it isn't there.... not even the fact
that TJ invited him to Monticello EXACTLY 9 months prior to Eston's
birth. Now back to pg. 136, another reference to Sally's having
conceived Eston late in Aug. 1807, WHY no reference to Randolph? Ever
wonder why he would move to Wisconsin, pass as white and change his name
to what...Jefferson? That would surely draw NO questions!

On pg. 137 Jon tells us that "before his liaison with Sally Hemings,
etc. and following along to "any children Jefferson fathered with Sally
Hemings would legally be white." Now there is a self explanatory
statement of law and science, HOWEVER, where is Mr. Kukla's proof that
TJ EVER fathered a slave child. Again on the same page he informs the
reader that "Jefferson's children by Sally Hemings as well as Mary
Hemings children by Thomas Bell, etc." Are you aware that this Mary and
several slave women were also rumored to have had Thomas Jefferson for
their children....sounds like some recent claims of fathering by many
modern day fathers doesn't it? Famous names draw lots of "wantabes" and
ESPECIALLY if the claim is made AFTER TJ's death.

To further deny the reader of factual research Mr. Kukla again (unless
my tired eyes have overlooked it) has conveniently "overlooked" the most
important full review of the Jefferson-Hemings controversy, we find NO
reference to the findings of the 13 member senior blue ribbon panel of
Jefferson expert researchers and the Scholars Commission Report
(www.tjheritage.org). Any person in the study of history will
immediately recognize these TOP scholars. A great and famous historian
surely would not overlook this would he? Sounds a bit like what Prof.
Joseph Ellis told me, even before the Boston Globe exposed him as a liar
(not my word), about his non-Vietnam and other personal lies they said.
Ellis told me he didn't know that Thomas Jefferson had a brother,
Randolph.....hmmmm, are we then asked to believe some of the recent
books they are publishing. Sure does look like some sort of conspiracy
and great agenda, in my opinion. On pg.4 you will note that Jon Kukla is
"careful" to state that DNA had confirmed a genetic relationship between
"THOMAS JEFFERSON'S FAMILY" (a slight difference I read here, and ONE of
Sally's children.) Jon Kukla references a Ft. Worth panel of scholars
discussed the DNA Evidence. If he would just read, no travel involved,
the research of the Scholars Commission he would get a different
approach to the controversy. I draw the reader's attention to pg. 52,
where TJ admitted when young and single he did see Mrs. Walker, HOWEVER
Jon Kukla says, "Jefferson acknowledged this and TJ said, "the only one,
founded in truth, among all their allegations against me." This is a
statement of TJ's condemnation of all of the other past rumors against
him.

A good time to now mention the motto of the Thomas Jefferson Heritage
Society, "For here we are not afraid follow truth wherever it may lead,
no to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it."
(a letter to William Roscoe on Dec. 27, 1820). Mr. Kukla's many uses of,
"hard to believe", "may well have been", "could easily have", "it is
possible to imagine", "IF", "it seems unlikely" and more such GUESSING
terminology, the reader gets the idea. Other than this one admission,
Jon where are any proofs to back up your Jefferson-Sally statements? On
pg. 250
Mr. Kukla brings to our attention the fact that the DNA tests of Peter
and Samuel Carr were no match....that would be for the only ONE Eston
Heming descendant, NOT all of her children.....and this is where
Monticello is remiss in claiming that possibly ALL of Sally's children
were fathered by TJ. This is impossible to state because of only one
being tested. I don't believe I saw any reference to the Waverly
Watchman opposition to the Wetmore/Madison Hemings article...."possibly"
an oversight!

You accuse me of not clearing my mind and not seeing the big picture.
You are absolutely incorrect in this shallow assessment. Since day one,
ten years ago, I have been involved in all phases with this controversy
and I know many things including the many agendas prevalent and WHY and
WHO the perpetrators are. Don't these false statements such as I have
outlined in Kukla's book and the many outlined in the Amazon book
reviews convince that these are "untruths".........see I didn't say lies
did I?

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian