From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:42:38 -0400
On Jun 26, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Anita Wills wrote:

> I have a hard time envisioning how those who espouse hate today,
> influenced those in the past. I mean that would be quite a feat
> wouldn't it?
If you ever find the answer to that one, we'd all like to know.
Sounds like a neat proposition for Science Fiction but I would have
trouble conceptualizing the nuts and bolts of it, much less the
consequences, both intended and unintended.

> I would argue the opposite, that some of those with hate speech
> take their cue from events of the past.
And so would everyone else on this list. Where on earth that came
from, I have no idea, but it surely is not something anyone on this
list has put forth.

> Free Speech is one thing, but when people (usually someone
> deranged), acts on that speech, you can be held liable. This is
> what happened with a young man was lynched (I believe in the
> 1970's), and his mother sued the KKK (I believe it was in Alabama).
> Also there was a case of an Ethopian, who was beat to death with a
> bat in Washington State, by a skinhead.  I believe his family also
> sued the KKK.
The Southern Poverty Law Center with Morris Dees used the legal
system to eviscerate the finances of the KKK and effectively reduced
them to ashes. The SPLC wasn't founded until 1971. So using existing
law plus newly enacted federal legislation on Civil Rights that
successfully fought jury nullification (As in 12 white goobers
finding the 13th innocent of murder despite overwhelming evidence;
and another jury finding OJ innocent of two murders), they were able
to bring justice where it was formerly a mockery.

> The difference between recent events, and history , is that there
> are laws in place now. There were no laws, or ineffective laws to
> deal with the lynchings of the past.
The presence of laws is moot without the will to make them work. It
has starting with English law in 1607, always been against the law to
commit murder, yet lynchings were, for the thousandth time, extra-
legal. This list has explained at some length the probable mechanisms
by which those who disagreed were effectively silenced.

> This topic is about historical events, and not recent events, and
> that is the point I attempted to make to Lylye. However, there are
> those on the list who have objectives other than History.
Nah, we just have a wider view than folks with a more railroad like
view where nothing deviates. Try it, you might find it's useful and
enjoyable.

Lyle