From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:36 -0400
At the risk of reopening another round of heated discussion, I would call
list members' attention to an essay about Mildred and Richard Loving by
Brent Staples that appears in today's NY Times:  http://tinyurl.com/6zy4rg.

There may--and probably will--be differences of opinion regarding his
references to TJ, and to other aspects of the Lovings' case.  But I found
his "story behind the story" very interesting and a reminder to all of us
who work in history, whether as amateurs (which, after all, means those who
love something for its own sake) or as professionals (those who earn their
living at it) that the past is as complex a place as today is, and it is our
obligation to make that understood to our wider audiences, whoever and
wherever they are.

Martha Katz-Hyman