From:
"Hellier, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:34:09 -0400
"Your obedient servant" and its variations were not only used to close
letters by at least the early seventeenth century (and probably much
earlier), this form  was the most common greeting and "good-bye" used among
the genteel (and genteel wannabes)in spoken conversation of the eighteenth
century.  It appears to have been used somewhat less often in conversation
by women than by men.

Cathy Hellier
Dept. of Historical Research
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation